BFF Virtual Worldwide 2022-2023
Bicycle Film Festival presents over 35 new films!
The 22nd annual BFF returned to theatres with sold out shows in New York, Amsterdam, Cape Town, Copenhagen and dozens of cities and towns around the world.
Now, Bicycle Film Festival is celebrating our new film selections Virtually until Feb 28, 2023.
BFF Virtual Worldwide features over 35 new films and filmmakers from more than a dozen countries. Get a full festival pass to watch all 4 programs:
Program 1: URBAN BIKE + CINEMATIC shorts Oscar nominated and award-winning shorts share equal billing with emerging new talent. Curated with a diverse array of films that capture the spirit of street, youth, and messenger cultures from passionate cyclists in cities around the world.
Program 2: CYCLE SPORT shorts Let’s celebrate the sport of cycling from the first Women's Paris-Roubaix race to the Tour de France filmed over ten years on Super 8. These stories feature Kasia Niewiadoma, Justin & Corey Williams, Meg Fisher, and other stars.
Program 3: ADVENTURE shorts For lovers of gravel, mountain biking, bikepacking, and ultra-endurance cycling, this program will take you on a journey around the world.
Program 4: ADVENTURE long form A program of four bikepacking films featuring: The East Texas Showdown, The Atlas Mountain Race, The Day Across Minnesota, and Land's End to John O'Groats. Explore the terrains of Morocco, North America, and the UK by bicycle.
How to watch?
Purchase a Full Festival Pass - includes access to all 4 virtual short film programs.
Or purchase a ticket to an individual short film program - check out the 4 virtual short film programs below.
Each short film program is approximately 2 hours and available to watch worldwide December 23, 2022 through Febuary 28, 2023.
Want more BFF?
Check out the BFF Store! Get a NEW 2023 cycling cap. Bikes rock!
How does the virtual Bicycle Film Festival work?
Starting Friday, December 23, 2022 at 6:00pm ET through Tuesday, Feburary 28, 2023 at 12:01am ET, BFF can be streamed to your computer, tablet, or smart TV. Simply click on the link provided by email. Links are sent 15 minutes before opening at 5:45pm ET on December 23, 2022 or sent immediately if purchased after opening. You may view BFF in one sitting, or as you will, from the comfort and safety of your home. All prices are in USD.
Check out the 4 short film programs below.
URBAN BIKE & CINEMATIC ⎮ 122min.
Oscar nominated and award-winning shorts share equal billing with emerging new talent. Curated with a diverse array of films that capture the spirit of street, youth, and messenger cultures from passionate cyclists in cities around the world.
Featuring stories about:
- How the first American to win a gold medal in road cycling at the 1984 Olympics changed spandex forever.
- A bicycle takeover and one of the United State's largest, most anticipated street riding events on the bikelife calendar attracting riders from the wheeling community worldwide.
- The story of Reza Alizadeh, a blind bicycle mechanic in Mashhad, Iran.
- A tribute to the career of Kevin Bolger aka Squid, a beloved bike messenger in New York since 1992.
- A man finds his stolen bicycle and it now belongs to a stranger (2021 Oscar Nomination & BFF GREATEST HIT).
- An inclusive alley cat for women and all underrepresented genders that is colder, harder, and more awesome.
- Two women find a space of their own in a male dominated bike life subculture in New York.
- A group of actors tour an original play by bicycle.
- The empty streets of London every night for four weeks during lockdown.
- A cyclist from New York City sees his hometown with new eyes.
- The inner streets of central Stockholm through a bicycle courier.
- A love letter to BMX by Craig Stevens, following his life in bikes around the world beginning in South Africa and culminating in New Zealand.
- and more!
CYCLE SPORT | 109min.
Let’s celebrate the sport of cycling from the first ever Women's Paris-Roubaix race to the Tour de France filmed over ten years on Super 8.
Featuring stories about:
- Paralympic gold medalist, Meg Fisher and young para athlete, Jack Berry navigate life's obstacles with grace, integrity, and each other.
- Olympian and queer cyclist, Lea Davison proves that you don’t have to choose between who you love and the sport you love.
- Alberto Masi, often named the Italian craftsmen king of framebuilding, shares the secret to his success: Passion.
- The story of L39I0N of Los Angeles, the United States’ first Black owned pro cycling team starring Justin & Corey Williams.
- 4X champion, Sonya Looney navigates life as a professional athlete and a pregnant athlete.
- An intimate look at the Tour de France filmed on Super 8 for over a decade.
- A portrait of Kasia Niewiadoma, leader of the Canyon/Sram racing team and one of the most successful, consistent athletes in the pro peloton as she prepares for the Tour de France Femmes.
- Pro snowboarder, Sam Taxwood turns the bicycle into a mechanism for mental health.
- Three cyclists visit Dolgoch, a remote hostel in the middle of the Cambrian Mountains, the last wilderness of Wales.
- A look into the pro peloton of the first ever Paris-Roubaix Femmes race.
- and more!
ADVENTURE | 117min.
For lovers of gravel, mountain biking, bikepacking, and ultra-endurance cycling, this program will take you on a journey around the world.
Featuring stories about:
- A family gives up everything to be together in their motorhome, traveling from bike park to bike park across Europe.
- The 1900 mile bicycle journey by Erick Cedeno (Bicycle Nomad) retracing the original route of the Buffalo Soldiers.
- An international collective of unapologetically Black cyclists reclaiming the freedom and joy of the outdoors.
- A look at the mountain biking scene developing in La Paz, Bolivia.
- 75 year old Joe Warren, who discovered downhill mountain biking at the age of 60, conquers the most challenging trails in Utah’s Wasatch Back in his own style.
- Behind the scenes with UK gravel cyclist, Annabel Fisher.
- A "backyard explorer" never ventured more than 60km from home, traveling by bike and paraglider for three weeks.
In the world of bike racing, there’s one continent that’s yet to have its turn in the spotlight: Africa. The inaugural AMANI Migration Gravel Race, held in Kenya in June 2021, became a game changer for the top cyclists in East Africa. Dedicated to the memory of Suleiman 'Sule' Kangangi.
In summer 2011, Kyle Dempster took off on his bike across Kyrgyzstan and spent two months pedaling and pushing more than 1200 km. He recorded the journey with his camera, his only partner, friend, and the only receiving end of his conversations for sometimes days at a time. In Memory of Kyle Dempster 1983-2016 (BFF GREATEST HIT).
ADVENTURE (LONG FORM) | 127min.
A program of four bikepacking films featuring: The East Texas Showdown, The Atlas Mountain Race, The Day Across Minnesota, and Land's End to John O'Groats. Explore the terrains of Morocco, North America, and the UK by bicycle.
- Cycling enthusiast Karin Laske sets off on an adventure spanning over 800 miles. She travels solo from Land's End to John O'Groats - a journey famously known as END TO END
- THE EAST TEXAS SHOWDOWN is a bikepacking event founded in 2021 by Patrick Farnsworth. The event includes two distance options: the 380-mile SHOWdown or the 280-mile SLOWdown. This film provides a glimpse into the second annual event in 2022 consisting of 94 participants and blazing fast times.
- The Day Across Minnesota is Minnesota’s grueling 240 mile point-to-point gravel race. THE LAST DAMN captures the final race and explores the race's origin and sociocultural impact it has had on gravel cycling.
- The Atlas Mountain Race means navigating 1,200 km of the most rugged and remote roads in Morocco. To win requires riding almost non-stop, night and day, for days on end alone and unsupported. There is no prize, no money, simply the satisfaction that comes from pushing oneself to the limit while exploring the forgotten corners of a beautiful country. Filmmaker Brady Lawrence followed the race documenting everything from a brutal 80 km walk through the high desert with a broken bike, to one racer’s simple joy at realizing they’ll soon eat their first warm meal in days. INTO THE RIFT - THE STORY OF THE ATLAS MOUNTAIN RACE features the sport’s biggest names and first-time, ultra-distance racers alike.